What would you like to learn more about?

Maureen Amberg is an author and entrepreneur whose primary focus is on the self esteem and positive confidence of kids and teenagers.

Welcome to My Blog

I appreciate that you have other choices of what to do with your time, so Thank You for visiting.

Your comments ~ negative or positive, constructive or not, will be gratefully received.

My only goal here is to make life better for children of all ages, and hopefully I am providing some awesome information for them to gain a more forceful and positive hold on the secrets to a better life.

Always caring for kids,

Maureen Amberg
http://KidsEdgeOnSelfEsteem.com

Kids Edge

Kids Edge
I am the one in blue turtleneck

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Education of a Child

Traits And Characteristics
Traits are aspects of organisms that are hardwired from our DNA, such as blue eyes and blond hair, but characteristics of our personalities are usually able to be molded and shaped. It is a fact that all children need basic education, however, they also need to learn social behaviors that will inform their adult characters. From the second that they are born, children are watching us. We teach them to smile, laugh, frown and cry. Later we teach them to ride a bike and tie their shoes. Perhaps unknown to us, we are also teaching them how to interact with other members of society. My father used to say, "Do as I say, not as I do!" I am sure you can guess how that turned out. While he meant well, it was not the best parenting strategy. I believe that raising a child is both the most difficult and the most rewarding job that one could have. I have seen, from my parent's generation to my own, a large increase in paternal involvement in a child's life. I have also seen in the younger generation a more cavalier attitude toward parenting. Nothing is absolute and I know there are young parents out there who are nurturing and loving with their children, and to those parents, I mean no disrespect.
Empathy
It is important to teach children by example in thought word and deed. That is not to say you must be perfect, otherwise, how would they learn it is OK to make mistakes? Children are not born malicious, but neither are they born altruistic and benevolent. They are born selfish creatures with no impulse control and they believe, literally, that the world revolves around them. At the beginning, that belief is necessary for survival, but if it becomes a permanent aspect of their personality, we are left with an adult that is selfish and self centered with poor impulse control. Most of us know one or two of them. I believe the most important characteristic that a child can be taught is empathy for all other creatures. Empathy is the ability to imagine yourself in someone else's circumstances and to feel what the other person may feel. Empathy is not sympathy, it is more important. You can build all other characteristics around that one. An empathetic adult usually won't lie, steal, or cheat because he will feel remorse. He won't intentionally harm others unless in self defense, and he will take responsibility for his actions. Imagine how the world would be if just that changed, if everyone took responsibility for their actions. Unfortunately, we can only do our best and try to teach our children right and wrong and hope it is not too late.
"Bring up a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it" - Paraphrased from the Bible.
I have been writing online for the past couple of months, although I have been writing in general most of my life.
Mary Krenz, aka janiek13
Maureen Amberg is an author,entrepreneur and children's advocate for MEA Online Edge Inc., with emphasis on the self esteem and self confidence of children; including teenagers. Caring for Kids is my current life focus. I strive to be tranquil, serene, and compassionate. Hopefully, this translates into "peaceful and calm".
 

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
San Pedro, CA, United States
Maureen is an author,entrepreneur and children's advocate for MEA Online Edge Inc., with emphasis on the self esteem and self confidence of children; including teenagers. Caring for Kids is my current life focus. I strive to be tranquil, serene, and compassionate. Hopefully, this translates into "peaceful and calm".

Pages

AWeber

Search This Blog

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter